GDCC had 6 players attend the National U19 tournament in Mackay Qld earlier this month.
The tournament was played over 9 days with 5 matches per team being completed. One round was washed out due to rain. Two pools of five teams complete the rounds with the top two from each pool going through to the semis. Qld Metro won the final versus a depleted NSW Metro who suffered 4 injuries during the tournament to key players. NSW U17 surprised many to finish 3rd and Tasmania was 4thin the final rankings.
Purpose built facilities at Burrup Park Mackay ensured excellent grounds for all matches. Special mention goes to the ground staff who worked tirelessly to deliver quality fields.
Our boys represented 4 different teams in the tournament. Callum Bladen for NSW Metro, Connor Cook and Nick Toohey for NSW Country/ACT, Sam Elder and Jay Naganayagam for Northern Territory and Luke Callanan for NSW U17.
Some excellent performances were recorded during the week from our lads. Highlights for each player were as follows:
- Callum Bladen: played 4 games. 2/23 v Vic Metro, 2/43 v Tasmania
- Connor Cook: played 5 games. 2/20 v Vic Country, 2/33 v Vic Metro and 33 runs
- Nick Toohey: played 4 games. 1/31 v Vic Country, 1/22 v Vic Metro
- Sam Elder: played 5 games. 2/41 v Vic Country, 1/31 v Tasmania, 38 runs & 1/39 v Qld Country and 17no & 1/26 v South Australia
- Jay Naganayagam: played 4 games. 51 runs v South Australia, 32 runs v Tasmania
- Luke Callanan: played 2 games (missed early rounds due to injury): 3/35 v Qld Metro, 4/54 v Tasmania
Congratulations to all these players who competed and best wishes for the 2022-2023 season.