Gordon District Cricket Club
Author: Geoff Hickman (Chairman of Selectors)
Date: November 3, 2021
The Club has announced the selectors and selection policy for season 2021-22. The Selection Committee will consist of Geoff Hickman (Chair), Ed Howitt, Elliot Richtor, Nick Miller, James Kennedy (PG’s only) and the team captains. The team captains will play an important role in the selection process and it is envisaged we will hold ZOOM meetings on the Monday before each round with captains and coaches involved at these meetings.
The Selection Committee will:
- Be responsible for selecting the clubs grade teams (1sts – Colts), T20 and the Poidevin Gray Shield team.
- The selectors will contact all players who have been selected in a different grade from the previous round prior to teams being published. This will be done either face to face at training or via a phone call to the players mobile. If not answered a voice message will be left with an offer for the player to return the call to discuss further.
- Teams will be published on a Wednesday night on Team App before the commencement of each round.
- The Selection Committee will only discuss the selection of teams and reasons for selection with those directly involved in any change.
- Should a player wish to further discuss their selections they are encouraged to contact Geoff Hickman or Ed Howitt in the first instance.
Factors Influencing Selection:
- Individual Performance – the focus will be on all round performance ie batting, bowling and fielding. Game awareness and performance in the context of the game will be noted.
- Team Balance – teams will be chosen with consideration to the type of game being played i.e. 2-day, 1 day or T20 and the resources necessary to compete in such a game.
- Availability- players who are unavailable for a round, may not, depending on the circumstances be automatically selected in the grade they were in prior to becoming unavailable.
- Fitness – Players are individually responsible for maintaining an acceptable level of fitness, which will enhance overall team performance.
- Training Attendance – Post daylight saving, training is compulsory. It is expected that 1st and 2nd grade players will practice twice a week, with lower grades at least once per week. If unable to attend due to work/study commitments players are expected to advise their captain at the commencement of the week.
- Attitude including attitude to the club, fellow players and administrators. This will include effort at training and match days, timeliness of attendance and overall contribution to the performance of the team.
- Rotation- Where we have an excess of players we will endeavour to rotate players through the Colts team to ensure as many players as possible get the opportunity to play.
- All players have responsibility to check the team selections for each round to check where they are playing (don’t assume anything).
- Players should advise the selection committee using the Team App Availabilities function as soon as they know of any upcoming unavailability. Any players who do not advise or advise after teams have been selected without an acceptable reason (sick, injury or work/study) will have this taken into account when they are considered for selection for their next available match.
- Players who are having injury problems and therefore uncertain of availability for the next match should advise their captain ASAP. Players will need to prove their fitness at training on the Thursday before the start of a round.